REFRACTIVE SURGERY WITH LASER
It is used to improve the refractive state of the eye and decrease or eliminate dependency on glassesor contact lenses, correct refractive defects of the eye such as nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism with an excimer laser. This laser can be directly applied to the corneal surface (PRK surgery), or deeper through the use of a femtosecond laser to make a fine cut of the corneal tissue and the targeted tissue is removed from the corneal stroma with an excimer laser(Femto-LASIK surgery).
The use of one or other surgical techniques depends on the characteristics of the eye and the type of refractive defect. The PRK surgery is more conservative although postoperative period is longer and Femto-LASIK surgery is more invasive but with a faster postoperative period.
Operating Time: 15 to 30 minutes for each eye.
Anaesthesia: topical (with anaesthetic eye drops).
Hospitalisation: not required.
Aftercare: Do not touch your eyes. Instillation of eye drops as instructed. Returning to normal life between five and ten days.
Before your trip:
• In order to prepare your case and give you a final price, it is advisable to send us reports from other specialists if you possess them.
• The patient will receive detailed information about techniques and equipment used before they arrive at the clinic.
• The patient may contract with the hotel a longer stay than is required for the surgical procedure.
• If surgery were to be rejected, the consultation and test fees must be paid.
The patient arrives in the clinic and after admission they will receive the surgery agreements to sign. Consultation with Ophthalmologist and the Anaesthetist and pre-operative tests.
- Admission to the clinic at 08.30 h., fasting 6 hours prior.
- Postsurgical evaluation 30 m. after surgery.
- Return to hotel with topical treatment after surgery.
Postsurgical evaluation and confirmation of the treatment protocol.
- Evaluation and removal of therapeutic contact lens (PRK technique).
- Prescription of treatment (eye drops for one month).
- Medical discharge.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is the intervention painful?
The procedure is absolutely painless as the anaesthetic eye drops provide an adequate anaesthesia. The Femto-LASIK pressure on the eye can be felt for a few seconds in order to keep the eye still while the cut is being made.
In the first 24 hours after surgery it is usual to feel a slight discomfort, depending on each case, but it can be relieved with medication. After 24 hours the discomfort is mild or non-existent.
Can you play sports?
We usually recommend suspending sport activity for the first five to seven days. During the first month the patient should not practice violent sports in order not to receive a trauma in the eye. We recommend to wait one week before swimming.
We recommend using sunglasses with adequate UV filter for outdoor activities.
Is it a dangerous surgery?
All surgeries carry some risk of complications but the current rate of serious complications is extremely low.
How long until I am completely recovered?
Although a week is sufficient to be back to a normal life, optimal vision is achieved after a month.